Welcome, visitor! [ Register | Login

What do you need to go fishing?

Announcement January 12, 2021

So you want to go fishing? With modern technology and the internet, sometimes finding the information you need that can be considered reliable and trustworthy can be difficult. This is why Silvercore is here to guide you through what you need to go fishing. First, decide what type of fishing you want to do. By that we mean, would you like to fish for freshwater fish, also known as non-tidal, or would you like to fish for saltwater fish, also known as tidal. The regulations for these types of fishing are different. Non-tidal fishing is provincially regulated, whereas Tidal fishing is federally regulated. Freshwater Fishing (Non-Tidal) In British Columbia, if you plan to go for freshwater fish, you will need a Basic Licence, also known as a Non-Tidal Angling Licence. This is for every angler who is 16 years of age or older and will allow them to fish in the non-tidal waters of beautiful BC. In addition to your Basic Licence, you may also need a Conservation Surcharge Stamp, a White Sturgeon Conservation Licence, and / or a Classified Waters Licence. Why? Glad you asked. There are two reasons why these are required. If you plan to fish for a specific type of fish such as Steelhead, non-tidal Salmon, or Sturgeon, or you're going to specific locations that are regulated as Class I or Class II Classified Waters. Purchasing these licences can be done either online through the BC Recreational Freshwater Fishing website, or from any vendor who offers this service. Saltwater Fishing (Tidal) If you plan to go fishing in the saltwaters of BC , you'll need a Tidal Waters Fishing Licence. Although free for juveniles (under 16 years old), you'll still need a licence for them which can be done online under your account. This licence also has the option to purchase a Salmon Conservation Stamp. In the event that you catch Salmon in saltwater, and you intend to retain it, then you must purchase this stamp. This is not required if you catch and release. The fees for the Salmon Conservation Stamp help generate funds which are provided to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans to the Pacific Salmon Foundation. This helps to support Salmon restoration, stewardship and enhancement projects in British Columbia. These licences can be purchased through the Department of Fisheries and Oceans of Canada website or through an Independent Access Provider. Conclusion When you plan to go fishing, be sure to always check for new regulations as things change from time to time. If you'd like to know more about Freshwater Fishing such as the species, regulations and limits, equipment and setup and use thereof and more, we would recommend signing up for our online Pacific Northwest Fishing course. This course was designed with the beginner in mind and is a must for anyone looking to get into the sport of freshwater fishing.   This is a veritable A to Z of everything a new angler needs to know and includes information on how to safely and legally fish in beautiful British Columbia. To provide you with the best, Silvercore’s course was created in partnership with the world renowned angler, guide and conservationist April Vokey. Try Our Free Demo

Sponsored Links

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

  • How to obtain a Firearms License in Canada

    by on January 6, 2011 - 0 Comments

      Obtaining a firearms license in Canada is not as daunting of a task as some may lead you to believe, it does however require that you have some basic firearms knowledge as well have the ability to pass a criminal record check. Firearms Licenses in Canada are broken down into the following categories: Adult […]

  • Classifications of Firearms in Canada

    by on January 16, 2011 - 0 Comments

    In Canada, we have 3 major classifications of firearms namely Non-Restricted, Restricted and Prohibited. Let’s talk a bit about each. Non-Restricted:  

  • Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms

    by on February 7, 2011 - 0 Comments

        You have obtained your firearms license and have just purchased your first non-restricted firearm and want to know how you can legally store it. In a nutshell, you have three storage options available to you.  It is important to note that regardless of which method you choose to employ when storing your firearm […]

  • "You're not what I pictured"

    by on January 6, 2011 - 3 Comments

    Several years ago, while conducting interviews for firearms instructors to work for my training company Silvercore Inc. I found myself face to face with a well dressed petite woman who on appearances alone one would not associate the words “Firearms Instructor” with.

  • Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course

    by on January 6, 2011 - 0 Comments

      As discussed in a previous post, if you wish to obtain a Canadian firearm license (PAL) you must first successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and possibly the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course depending on the classification of firearms you wish to possess and acquire. The Canadian Firearms Safety Course came into inception […]

Blog Categories