Welcome, visitor! [ Register | Login

How to import and export firearms in Canada

Announcement January 12, 2021

Many times throughout the year Silvercore gets asked “How do I import (or export) a firearm in Canada?“. We wanted to provide you with all the in’s and out’s of importing and exporting firearms in Canada and make it smooth sailing for you to safely, and legally get your firearm into (or out of) Canada.

If you’re new to Silvercore and our Blog, be sure to check out all the other useful content we have! Be sure to subscribe to our Newsletter where you’ll find all the most relevant and new content from our YouTube Channel, Podcast, Blog, Online Courses, Gun Club and much more.

What do you need to Import (or Export) a Firearm in Canada? 

If you want to import or export your firearm, the first thing you’ll need, regardless if you are dealing with a Non-Restricted or Restricted Firearm is to be 18 years or older and you must have a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence, also known as a PAL (more firearms acronyms, terminology and what they mean can be found on our blog here). And incase you’re wondering, neither Canadian residents, nor visitors are allowed to import prohibited firearms newly acquired outside of Canada under any circumstances.  

What are the legal requirements for importing and exporting firearms?

There are a few different legal requirements which need to be followed when it comes to importing or exporting firearms. The first we’ll touch on those that relate to Canada. There are governing bodies that have their own regulations which need to be followed. In this section we will review the following:

  1. Canada Border Services Agency, or CBSA
  2. Global Affairs Canada
  3. The Criminal Code and The Firearms Act.

So let’s begin!

1. CBSA, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices.

Review Memorandum D19-13-2, effective as of May 29 2019. This document not only goes over a briefing of things most recently changed, legislation, the definitions of things like Action, Ammunition, Authorization to Carry (ATC), Authorization To Transport (ATT) and more, but also describes in great detail prohibited weapons and ammunition. Knowing what is considered prohibited will save you a great deal of grief when importing or exporting a firearm.

Additionally, you’ll find the import and export procedures. But we’ll keep this simple and break it down for you!

If importing a Non-Restricted Firearm

In addition to the 18+ age and valid PAL which has the proper authorization for the class of firearm which you plan to import, you’ll also need the following:

      1. Verify if you need an import authorization from Global Affairs Canada, more on that below. 

If importing a Restricted Firearm

In addition to the 18+ age and valid PAL, you will also need the following:

      1. Be authorized owner to which the Restricted firearm is registered to with the Canadian Firearms Program, or CFP and have your Firearm Registration Certificate, 
      2. Have a Long Term Authorization to Transport, or ATT in order to Transport the firearm (this is obtained by being a member of a recognized gun club or range), 
      3. Obtain an import authorization from Global Affairs Canada.

Something worth noting is that you can generally only import a restricted firearms if you are able to show that you have a need for that firearm, this could be something such as needing it to be able to take part in an organized target-shooting event.

Ensure you are properly covered, Join The Silvercore Club!

2.  Import Controls and Import Permits handled by Global Affairs Canada

Apply for an Import Permit. In order to apply for this you’ll need to  complete an Application for Import/Export Permit EXT-1466. (you’ll need Adobe Reader to load this file)

Be sure to include your application with a cheque for the corresponding total value of goods otherwise the permit will not be issued. The fee schedule can be found here.

3. The Criminal Code and the Firearms Act.

You’ll need to keep in mind the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act as this outlines the offences you could face if you import or export a firearm illegally and who is authorized to import or export. More on this below.


As a final note on things you need to do, don’t forget that you will also need to keep in mind the country where the firearm is coming from, as well as any other country the firearm will pass through and their legal requirements.

What offences could be faced for importing or exporting firearms illegally?

We’ll keep the legal jargon out of this summary- if you want to read that you can find it here in the Criminal Code of Canada.

Importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized

The punishment when it comes to a firearm is imprisonment for up to 10 years and minimum punishment of 3 years (if first offence), or of 5 years (if second or subsequent offence)

In other cases of an indictable offence,  imprisonment up to 10 years and a minimum punishment of imprisonment of one year.

Unauthorized importing or exporting

Imprisonment for up to 5 years for an indictable offence, or if guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Who is authorized to import and export a firearm?

As per the Firearms Act, Authorization for non-residents who do not hold a licence to import firearms that are not prohibited firearms

35 (1) A non-resident who does not hold a licence may import a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm if, at the time of the importation,

(a) the non-resident

(i) is eighteen years old or older,
(ii) declares the firearm to a customs officer in the prescribed manner and, in the case of a declaration in writing, completes the prescribed form containing the prescribed information, and
(iii) in the case of a restricted firearm, produces an authorization to transport the restricted firearm; and

(b) a customs officer confirms in the prescribed manner the declaration referred to in subparagraph (a)(ii) and the authorization to transport referred to in subparagraph (a)(iii).

So what about airguns, replica firearms, and antique firearms? Can I import / export them?

Replica firearms are prohibited from entering Canada.

A replica firearm is considered a prohibited device and here is what CBSA says about them:
  • are designed or intended to exactly resemble a firearm with near precision;
  • are not reproductions of antique firearms; and
  • may include airsoft or blank guns.

Replica firearms are classified as prohibited devices. Individuals cannot import them into Canada. For more information on replica firearms see Memorandum D19-13-2, Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices.

Antique firearms can be imported to Canada- conditions apply

An Antique firearm can be imported as long as it is considered to be Antique as outlined under the Criminal Code, and as long as you are a Canadian resident or a visitor to Canada.  You won’t need to register an antique firearm, and you do not need a licence if you are the owner of one, however the proper safe storage and transportation requirements will all still apply. 

What weapons or devices are prohibited from entering Canada?

*Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, but common weapons and devices prohibited from entering Canada.*


  • automatic knives such as switchblades;
  • centrifugal knives such as flick knives or butterfly knives;
  • gravity knives;
  • mace or pepper spray designed for use on humans;
  • nunchaku sticks;
  • shuriken (throwing stars);
  • manrikigusari or kusari (fighting chains);
  • finger rings with blades or other sharp objects projecting from the surface;
  • Taser and stun guns shorter than 480 mm;
  • crossbows designed for one-handed use;
  • crossbows 500 mm or shorter;
  • Constant Companion (belt-buckle knife);
  • push daggers;
  • devices shorter than 30 cm concealing a knife blade (e.g. knife-comb);
  • spiked wristbands;
  • blowguns;
  • Kiyoga or Steel Cobra batons (spring batons);
  • spring-loaded rigid batons (triggered by a button or lever);
  • morning stars; and
  • brass knuckles.


  • silencers or devices designed to muffle or stop the sound of a firearm;
  • certain cartridge magazines above a given capacity. Generally, cartridge magazines are limited to 5 rounds for centre-fire, semi-automatic rifles or shotguns and 10 rounds for semi-automatic handguns, with exemptions for certain magazines;
  • bullpup stocks;
  • replica firearms (see additional information on replica firearms below); and
  • devices prohibited by regulations.


Can I ship firearms?

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is, under certain circumstances.
If you are shipping a firearm it must be a licensed carrier company that is designated under the Firearms Act that is handling the firearms shipped to someone in Canada.
  • When shipping, the item must be shipped in a sturdy, non-transparent container. This container should be hard to break into and should not break open accidentally during transport. 
  • There must not be any markings on the outside of the container which indicate there are firearms inside- unless the marking is an address.
  • The Canadian Firearms Program, CFP, recommends that you label an envelope “Customs Documents” and attach it firmly to the outside of the container. You can put any waybills, import permits, or export permits into the envelope.
  • You must declare all firearms at Canada Customs and pay applicable duties and taxes.

Where can updates be found relating to firearms regulations?

It’s important that as a safe, legal and responsible firearms owner you’re always staying up to date with any applicable changes. Updates can be found online the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program section of the website under ‘Highlights’.

Sometimes it depends on the updates you are looking for as to where you can locate them. If you aren’t sure, feel free to reach out to us at info@silvercore.ca
Or, if you have questions that relate to a specific firearm, weapon or device, we recommend that you contact the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000.

How can I learn more about firearms and firearms related Information?

There is a number of ways to find the information that you’re looking for, but for the sake of bringing you the easy access of information you may be on the look for, we would recommend any of the following.

  1. Listen to The Silvercore Podcast. The Silvercore Podcast discusses matters related to hunting, firearms, hiking, outdoor adventure and the people and businesses that comprise the community all from a uniquely Canadian perspective.
  2. Join the Silvercore Club to receive exclusive club discounts with participating retailers (some of whom sell hunting related products) – and the Silvercore Club Facebook Community. There are many individuals who hunt and have experience in  hunting who are happy to share their knowledge and all it takes is a little ask and community involvement.
  3. Take a Silvercore Online Course. Silvercore has a number of different online courses whether you’re looking to obtain your PAL, go hunting, become an RSO, or even just want to make sure you’re safe in bear country.



Please note that this post was created and intended for educational purposes and acts only as a guide and is by no means considered a legal document.

As regulations and legislation change from time to time, Silvercore and its subsidiaries make no warranties whatsoever, either express or implied, oral or written, in fact, or by operation of law or otherwise, regarding the import or export of any firearm or device mentioned throughout this post.

Individuals should always check with the appropriate governing bodies regarding legislative and regulatory specifications for the import and export of firearms into or out of Canada.


250 total views, 0 today

Firearms and Hunting Terminology

Announcement January 12, 2021

As our country’s oldest and largest safety training business of its kind, Silvercore has trained more outdoor enthusiasts, athletes, hunters, sports shooters and armed professionals, than any other company in our sector in Canada.

As you can imagine, in Silvercore’s endeavours and experience we know very well just how confusing it can be when you are first starting your journey to obtaining licensing, whether it be for your firearms licence, hunting licence, training, permits or otherwise. 

As such, we’ve created a list of different acronyms, variations of them and terms that you may run into in the process of becoming more knowledgeable in the firearms industry to help make things much clearer for you.

PAL or P.A.L. – Possession and Acquisition Licence

This is the current form of firearms licensing in Canada and the term which is most commonly used. It can refer to a Non-Restricted Firearms and/or Restricted Firearms Licence. It was put in place in 1995 when it replaced the term FAC (more to come on this below).

RPAL or R.P.A.L. – Restricted

This is also the current form of firearms licensing in Canada and is really just another term which is somewhat interchanged with PAL.  It refers to a Restricted Firearms Licence.

POL or P.O.L. – Possession Only Licence

This is the term used for individuals with a licence in Canada which cannot obtain firearms, but only possess them. POL’s were actually transferred to PAL’s in 2015 under the Common Sense Firearms Licensing Act

FAC or F.A.C. – Firearms Acquisition Certificate

This was the old form of firearms licensing in Canada and term which is less commonly used, but still relatively known and used amongst older generations due to when it was valid (1977 – 1995). These have all now since expired and will need to be replaced by a PAL.

CFSC or C.F.S.C. – Canadian Firearms Safety Course

This is the required training set forth by the Canadian Firearms Program and RCMP for individuals to be able to obtain a Non-Restricted Firearms Licence or PAL.

CRFSC or C.R.F.S.C. – Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course

This the required training set forth by the Canadian Firearms Program and RCMP for individuals to be able to obtain a Restricted Firearms Licence or RPAL.

NR – Non-Restricted

This refers to a classification of a firearm and typically means long guns such as rifles or shotguns. This is not always the case however and there may be firearms which are exceptions based on barrel length, calibre discharged, etc. Specifics relating to the classification of Non-Restricted Firearms can be found on the RCMP’s website here.

R – Restricted

This also refers to a classification of a firearm and typically means firearms such as revolvers or handguns.  Specifics relating to the classification of Restricted Firearms can be found on the RCMP’s website here.

Prohib- Prohibited

This also refers to a classification of a firearm. Specifics relating to the classification of Prohibited Firearms can be found on the RCMP’s website here.

CFP- Canadian Firearms Program

The Canadian Firearms Program, also known as the Canadian Firearms Centre is a federal program which falls under the RCMP and is typically responsible for firearms licences and regulations in Canada.

CFO- Chief Firearms Officer

The Chief Firearms Officer is provincial body which is responsible for the issuance of PAL’s to individuals in that province, ATT’s, ATC’s Firearms Transfers, and Guns Show Sponsorship approvals.  There are different CFO’s per province and a list of these and their contact information can be found on the RCMP’s website here.

ATT or A.T.T. or LATT – Long Term Authorization to Transport

A Long Term Authorization to Transport is a requirement for individuals which possess a valid RPAL and wish to purchase, possess, or transport a restricted firearm.

In order to obtain an ATT, the individual meeting the requirements above, must provide proof of a valid membership with a recognized gun club or range in order to meet the requirements of the CFO.

This proof of membership is typically provided in form of a letter from your club or range which you have a valid membership with.

ATC or A.T.C – Authorization to Carry

An Authorization to Carry is a special permit issued by the CFO in your province under the Firearms Act. This permit will allow an individual to lawfully posses and carry a restricted, or prohibited firearm, which is readily accessible to them for use. This may be issued in the case of it being a requirement for your line of profession, for example, an armoured car guard may receive this permit.

WATC or W.A.T.C. – Wilderness Authorization to Carry

A Wilderness Authorization to Carry is a special permit issued by the CFO in your province under the Firearms Act. This will allow an individual to lawfully posses and carry a restricted firearm, which is readily accessible to them for use for the purpose of protection in their line of work. An example of an individual who may be eligible to apply for this permit might be a licensed professional trapper.

POP or P.O.P. – Proof Of Proficiency

A proof of proficiency is required to be completed by the Applicant that is looking to obtain a WATC. This consists of the applicant showing the administrator of the POP that they can shoot their firearm at a different distances and in different positions. They will be scored on their shots and where they placed on the target. This will determine if they’ve passed or not and will be included with their application which is submitted to the CFO for their WATC.

CORE or C.O.R.E. – Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education

CORE is education or training related to hunting. There are currently various ways to do this including self-study, reading the CORE Manual, completing the Online CORE Hunter Education Course, or attending an in-person CORE Hunter Education Course with a BCWF certified CORE Examiner.

All of these methods go towards the same goal; obtaining your Fish and Wildlife ID (FWID) which acts as the passport to hunting in BC. Individuals will be required to complete an examination with a BCWF Certified examiner and obtain their student graduation certificate in order to proceed and obtain their FWID. Read more on this in our blog post on what you need to hunt in BC.

BCWF or BC Wildlife Federation – British Columbia Wildlife Federation

The BCWF is the provincial body which manages the CORE program, its instructors and the certifications of students whom have successfully passed their CORE examinations. They also are British Columbias leading conservation organization with core values of Stewardship, Education and Research and Partnership. Find out more about the British Columbia Wildlife Federation on their website here.

FWID – Fish and Wildlife ID

The Fish and Wildlife ID or FWID, is the passport to access hunting services in BC.  This is required in order to obtain the following:

  • Hunting licences (resident, non-resident, non-resident alien, youth and initiation)
  • Fraser Valley and Gulf Islands special area licences
  • Species and upland game bird licences
  • Limited entry hunting (LEH) licences
  • Guide outfitter licences
  • Permit to accompany a non-resident or non-resident alien to hunt big game

LEH –  Limited Entry Hunting 

Limited Entry Hunting is a random draw which provides hunters the opportunity to hunt animals which may not otherwise be huntable during the general open season. LEH applications are typically for authorizations to hunt Bison, Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, Mountain Goat, Mountain Sheep, and other B.C. game.

Regulation Synopsis

There are many different synopsis’ with regulations as they pertain to hunting, LEH, trapping, and fishing, these include the following:

  1. BC Limited Entry Hunting Regulations Synopsis
  2. BC Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis
  3. BC Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis

These Synopsis’ are typically released every 2 years and have important regulations in them that are important for hunters, trappers and anglers alike to follow. The BC government also updates these online so its important to check their website to make sure you have the most current and accurate information.

133 total views, 0 today

  • How to obtain a Firearms License in Canada

    by on January 6, 2011 - 0 Comments

      Obtaining a firearms license in Canada is not as daunting of a task as some may lead you to believe, it does however require that you have some basic firearms knowledge as well have the ability to pass a criminal record check. Firearms Licenses in Canada are broken down into the following categories: Adult […]

  • Classifications of Firearms in Canada

    by on January 16, 2011 - 0 Comments

    In Canada, we have 3 major classifications of firearms namely Non-Restricted, Restricted and Prohibited. Let’s talk a bit about each. Non-Restricted:  

  • Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms

    by on February 7, 2011 - 0 Comments

        You have obtained your firearms license and have just purchased your first non-restricted firearm and want to know how you can legally store it. In a nutshell, you have three storage options available to you.  It is important to note that regardless of which method you choose to employ when storing your firearm […]

  • "You're not what I pictured"

    by on January 6, 2011 - 3 Comments

    Several years ago, while conducting interviews for firearms instructors to work for my training company Silvercore Inc. I found myself face to face with a well dressed petite woman who on appearances alone one would not associate the words “Firearms Instructor” with.

  • Canadian Firearms Safety Course and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course

    by on January 6, 2011 - 0 Comments

      As discussed in a previous post, if you wish to obtain a Canadian firearm license (PAL) you must first successfully complete the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and possibly the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course depending on the classification of firearms you wish to possess and acquire. The Canadian Firearms Safety Course came into inception […]

Blog Categories